28 of Worcestershire’s best apprentices, schools, careers leads, training providers, apprenticeship champions and employers have been named as finalists for the Worcestershire Apprenticeships Awards 2019.
This year’s awards received a large amount of nominations in all 10 categories. The finalists will join hundreds of businesses and guests at the awards finals at 6:30pm on Thursday 14 November at the Tree Tops Pavilion, West Midland Safari Park, where the winners of each category will be announced.
The Awards’ judges commented that the shortlist reflects ‘the increasing popularity of apprenticeships as the best route to earn as you learn’. Apprentices can earn between £77,000 to £117,000 more than those with similar qualifications and with A-Level results and GCSE results recently published, the judges are expecting to see many more young people select apprenticeships as their preferred option.
The black-tie ceremony will be presented by the former British Paralympic swimmer and gold medallist, Marc Woods, who is set to welcome an audience of 350 people to the event. The popular ceremony will recognise outstanding achievement in the two overall awards of Apprenticeship Employer of the Year, which is sponsored by Southco Manufacturing and Apprentice of the Year, sponsored by Yamazaki Mazak UK Ltd.
Gary Woodman, Chief Executive of Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership, said: “I would like to congratulate all those who have been named as finalists at this year’s Worcestershire Apprenticeships Awards. Each year we see the very best of the county’s high-quality Apprenticeships recognised for their fantastic achievements, and I know that these young apprentices can go on to be the business leaders of the future. I’m sure that this year will be another popular reflection of our county’s dedicated schools, businesses and training providers.”
Cllr Marcus Hart, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Education and Skills at Worcestershire County Council, added: “Congratulations to everyone who has been shortlisted for this year’s awards ceremony. Apprenticeships continue to have a huge impact in Worcestershire by helping apprentices and their employers to grow and achieve their ambitions.”
Awards Finalists 2019
School of the Year – sponsored by Worcestershire Children First
- King Charles High School – Kidderminster
- Pershore High School – Pershore
Intermediate Level Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by The Community Housing Group
- Abigail Bradley – Sanctuary Group – Worcester
- Laura Barrett – Amada – Kidderminster
- Rachel Layton – Give As You Live – Evesham
Advanced Level Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by OGL Computer Ltd
- Bethany Addis – Yamazaki Mazak UK Ltd – Worcester
- Joe Hosie – Tim Whittington Farriery – Inkberrow
- Katie Turner – Amada – Kidderminster
Higher Level Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by University of Worcester
- Aidan Horton – Malvern Panalytical – Malvern
- Georgia Williams – Fresh Nous – Worcester
- Thomas Smith – DRPG – Hartlebury
Small Apprenticeship Employer of the Year – sponsored by Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce
- Give As You Live – Evesham
- Payara – Malvern
- The Priory Forge – Inkberrow
Medium Apprenticeship Employer of the Year – sponsored by Worcestershire Training Providers Association
- Heller Machine Tools – Redditch
- Phosters (FM) Ltd – Kidderminster
- SJL Insurance Services – Worcester
Large Apprenticeship Employer of the Year – sponsored by Amada UK Ltd
- Open GI – Worcester
- Sanctuary Group – Worcester
- Southco Manufacturing UK – Worcester
Careers Lead of the Year – sponsored by Fortis Living
- Claire Watson – Dyson Perrins – Malvern
- Jane Tozer – Prince Henry’s School – Evesham
- Louise Laxton – Trinity High School – Redditch
Apprenticeship Champion of the Year – sponsored by Fusion – Building Better Opportunities
- Alison Young – Advance Trust – Evesham
- Ben Hyde – Sanctuary Group – Worcester
Training Provider of the Year – sponsored by Sanctuary Group
- LMPQ – Worcester
- TDM – Worcester
- WGTA – Worcester
Worcestershire Apprentice of the Year sponsored by Southco Manufacturing UK Limited
The Apprentice of the Year will be decided from winners of other awards.
Worcestershire Apprenticeship Employer of the Year sponsored by Yamazaki Mazak UK Ltd
The Apprenticeship Employer of the Year will be decided from winners of other awards.